There are hundreds of different criminal courts in California. If you’ve been arrested and charged with a crime, you can never fully prepare yourself for what will happen when you will walk into one of those courtrooms.
You probably know that under the law, you are innocent until proven guilty, but I understand it sure doesn’t feel that way. When you hear your name called out in court as “The State of California vs. YOU”, you may never feel quite so alone.
And the truth is, with the people who work in those buildings, no one is on your side. The judge is supposed to be impartial, and many are. But even the best judge isn’t looking out for you, he or she is on the side of justice, and the law overall, not necessarily what is best for you personally. And some judges really aren’t completely impartial. They are biased toward the system, and often rule in favor of the prosecution and the police. And they can hand out particularly harsh sentences.
Of course, the prosecutor isn’t on your side. He or she is paid and rewarded for conviction rates, not fairness. So even if a district attorney seems to be giving you a good deal, you can’t be sure what you are getting. It takes legal defense courtroom experience and local knowledge of the players to understand what is the best deal possible. And the threat of a complicated trial can be a big plus in a negotiation.
That’s where we come in. As California defense attorneys, our only obligation is to protect you and your interests. That’s what we do, everyday, in courts across the state.
If you are accused of a criminal charge in California, you need legal advice – the sooner the better. Call us now to find out more about what you are up against, and how we can help. We’ll give you some specific facts about what you can expect in your specific circumstances. We’ll go over what happened to you, the evidence against, you and suggest options. All for no obligation. A free consultation is critical to a decision to hire any attorney. So give yourself a chance to decide on who is the best criminal defense attorney in California for you.
I Can’t Believe I Am An Accused Criminal!
Being accused of a crime can be maddening. It’s something no one ever expects to happen to them. So there are two basic situations:
- You are accused of something you didn’t do. If you are facing prison time on a criminal charge for something you didn’t do, you are probably unsure of where to turn, unsure of who you can trust. With our experienced group of defense lawyers across California, you can be that confident you are in good hands. We have defended thousands of cases. Many just like yours. And we want to help. Fighting injustice is what gets us out of bed every morning.
- You made a mistake and things went horribly wrong, we understand. Sometimes things don’t always happen the way we intend them to. What may start out as a simple mistake or a momentary lapse in judgment can turn into something much bigger when the law gets involved. That doesn’t mean you deserve a harsh punishment. We believe everyone deserves fair treatment and a second chance.
We know how to face both situations. We have defended cases like this where our client was completely innocent. We have also successfully defended clients who admit to making a mistake but were not the monster that the prosecution was portraying them as.
Either way, you’ll want a true professional, experienced California criminal defense lawyer working on your behalf to protect your rights and clear your name.
Criminal Justice and Sentencing Reform
After decades of brutally unfair and cruel criminal penalty standards, California laws and public opinion have finally turned around.
- We passed Proposition 36 in 2000, known as the Drugs, Probation, and Treatment act of 2000. It makes people charged with drug possession, including cocaine and heroin eligible for treatment programs instead of jail, and gives them an opportunity to get the charges dismissed after successfully completing treatment.
- In 2012 we finally eliminated the onerous and draconian three strikes law in California.
- We passed Proposition 47 in 2014, reducing many drug possession and theft crimes from felonies to misdemeanors.
- We passed Proposition 64 in 2016, completely legalizing marijuana possession of less than an ounce.
Maybe soon California will no longer be the state with the highest incarceration rates in the nation.
Free Consultation on Criminal Charges in California
Our defense attorneys offer a free legal defense consultation and case evaluation to anyone who is accused of a crime in California. We do it because, well, honestly, we hope you’ll hire us to help you. And we know we can. But even more than that, it is the right thing to do. You have a right to evaluate any defense lawyer for yourself. You need to feel comfortable and confident that the person representing you in court in the best defense lawyer for you.
So take this opportunity to get some questions answered that can really help you. Call us now to find out what we can do to help you out of a difficult legal situation.